So so so much food! It is not difficult to purchase too much food over the Christmas period. If you find yourself with a fridge full of left overs this recipe is for you. Don’t waste the beautiful Christmas ham and fresh Summer vegetables. They can be used to make fresh, easy meals in the period following Christmas. Good for the budget and good for your family.
These Christmas left over fritters have a lovely creamy flavor with a light texture. They an be easily adapted to include the vegetables that you have available and any herbs. Mum used to make “bubble and squeak” with the left overs from the roast lamb and vegetables when I was growing up. I must ask her how she made it as it was always a meal that we looked forward to. In the mean time, these fritters will take care of any left over ham and vegetables. If you have used all of the Christmas ham, replace the ham with bacon for a moreish finger food treat or side dish any time of the year.
- 70 grams green beans - finely chopped
- 1 green apple - peeled and grated
- 1 small zucchini (about 200 grams) peeled and grated
- 120 grams Christmas ham - chopped into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- pinch salt
- fresh sage leaves - chopped
- fresh chives - chopped
- Coconut oil for cooking
- lemon wedges to serve (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients, except the oil, to a bowl and mix well to combine
- Add a small amount of oil to a pan and heat it to a medium high temperature
- Scoop out a spoon of the fritter mixture into the pan and flatten with the back of the spoon
- Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes and then turn
- Drain on paper towel and add to a plate in a warm oven until all of the fritters are cooked and ready to serve
- Cook in batches until all of the mixture is used and serve with lemon wedges if desired
I hope that you have had a lovely festive period.
You may also like:
Join me here: