Over the last few months I have been having a great time tripping down memory lane and digging through my old Aromatherapy notes, books and my recipe logs. I have re-ignited an old passion that I let fizzle out – that for creating natural skin care products from beautiful plant based ingredients.
About ten years ago I was making my own skin care range. I became very bitter and disillusioned towards the time I decided to stop selling them. I was fed up with the powerful media channels at the time that were pushing the notion of “Natural” in the market and aggressively promoting products that were NOT natural products. They were promoting products made to be shipped around the world, to hold up in various climate extremes and to sit on a shelf for (sometimes) years before making it to a bathroom cupboard. It was exhausting trying to explain and educate people about my definition of natural skin care – that was no additives, organic where possible, and made entirely from plant based or naturally occurring ingredients. PHEW! I got sick of the battle that I felt I was engaged in and shut up shop. I continued to create some basic items for myself but mostly packed up everything.
I can’t explain the joy I felt at unearthing a big dust covered box of cosmetic jars from the shed a couple of weeks ago, or finding my hand scrawled notes on tried, tested and loved recipe for one of my products. I missed it and didn’t even know it. I have re-purchased many of my staple ingredients and been back at the stove stirring my potions.
This recipe is one from my archives. It is very similar to the product I used to make and sell. I made some minor modifications to it. It is not a difficult recipe, it is actually very simple to make. It will take you less than 20 minutes to create.
Ditch those balms filled with chemicals, colors, stabilisers, thickeners, emulsifiers and preservatives and start treating your lips with this gloriously silky soft balm. It has great staying power. I find that it lasts for a number of hours.
- 15 grams beeswax
- 15 grams cocoa butter
- 5 grams shea butter
- 10 grams macadamia oil
- 7 drops spearmint essential oil
- 5 drops lime essential oil
- Fill a saucepan ⅓ full with water and set to a low simmer
- Add all of the ingredients except the essential oils to a mixing bowl that will sit on top of the saucepan without touching the water
- Gently heat and stir until the ingredients melt
- Do not allow the ingredients to reach a temperature over 70 degrees celcius
- Remove from the heat as soon as they have melted
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes
- Add the essential oils and stir (the mixture will be starting to thicken and harden)
- Pot into a steralised jar
You may also like:
Join me here: