Chocolate Chunk Almond Cookies
This post is part of Thankful Thursday at Kate Says Stuff. One of the things in my life that I am most thankful for is my beautiful mum. I feel very fortunate to have a strong relationship with my mum. We live a distance apart but talk via email or the phone at least 4 times a week, often more. She is my best friend, a confidant, a rock. I know that no matter what my mum will always be available to help me, support me and guide me. I really hope that my children will one day say that about me. If that happens I think that I can say I am a great mum, the best I can be.
- 200 grams of butter
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cup of self raising flour - sifted
- 1/2 cup of plain flour sifted
- 1 cup of chopped almonds with skin left on
- 1/2 cup of coconut
- 1 cup of dark chocolate bits - chopped
- 1 tablespoon of coconut extra
- Prepare an oven tray by lining it with baking paper
- Set the oven to 180 degrees
- Beat the butter, sugar and essence together until light and fluffy
- Add the egg
- Stir in the combined flours, nuts, chocolate bits and coconut and mix well. The mix will be like a dough
- With floured hands roll the mix into small balls (the size of walnuts)
- Place the rolled balls onto the oven tray and press them with a fork to flatten slightly then sprinkle with coconut
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes
- Place on a cooling tray
I have reached this point in my life without having tried to make this recipe myself as my mum always bakes me a batch when she visits and when I go home she has a freshly baked batch waiting. I have to say that while they are delicious, my batch is lacking something still. Mum doesn’t make this to a recipe she makes it by feel – maybe it was missing the mum love in my batch.
With the delicious almonds and the egg these do not pass the new kinder/mother’s group requirements. They are a home treat and a morning tea snack for Mr Fresh’s lunch box.
Thanks for reading! These cookies are so quick to make, and so delicious I think you should go and put the jug on and set to work – they will be ready in no time.
Join me here: