I have a large number of zucchini recipes (in addition to lots of Spinach recipes) up my sleeve. Last year we had so many zucchini’s I got sick of eating them in every meal we had. I have just picked my first one for the year and this is what I used it in.
An easy vegetarian family recipe. It can satisfy meat lovers by adding chicken or proscutto if desired – See Hints and Tips at the end of the recipe.
Serves: 4 adults
Preparation time: 30 minutes (includes baking the pumpkin)
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 3 fresh garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 litre of good quality vegetable stock
- 250 grams of pumpkin cut into 3 cm cubes
- 2 medium zucchini (courgette) peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup of fresh sage leaves
- 5 small sprigs of fresh lemon thyme
- salt and pepper to season
- Parmesan cheese to serve if desired
- Cook the zucchini on a griddle pan
- Set oven to 180 degrees
- Add a drizzle of oil and season pumpkin with salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes
- Put garlic and olive oil into a pan and cook until fragrant
- Add the rice and stir until coated for a few minutes
- Add the wine and thyme and stir until the wine is absorbed
- Add the stock 1 cup at a time. Add the next cup when the previous has been absorbed. When one cup remains add the pumpkin, zucchini, sage, and salt and pepper. Stir gently until the stock is absorbed.
- Serve topped with shaved Parmesan cheese if desired
Hints and Tips:
- To speed up this recipe you can cook the zucchini and the pumpkin the day before, or earlier in the day.
- For meat lovers – grill a chicken breast, cut into strips and top the risotto with it.
You may also like:
Join me here: