This post was created for Bakers Delight. With the choice of any of their products to create a lunch recipe, I selected Pane Di Case Rye Loaf. It is a nice dense bread and so works well for with a dip. To add some fun to my children’s lunch time I toasted the bread and cut it into spoon shapes for dipping into the bread.
I got the idea for the spoon shapes from an image I saw on the Facebook page of Europe in a Box. The kids loved using them. I need some practice to get the shapes perfect but my 5 year old and 2 year old did not complain 🙂
If you are a regular reader you know that I currently have a lovely supply of home grown zucchini from my garden. I enjoy finding new ways to use this versatile vegetable. This dip is healthy, and a great one to add to nibbles if you are entertaining this weekend.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium zucchini – (approximately 250-260 grams) sliced into rounds and cooked on a griddle pan, or baked
- 50 grams of pumpkin – cubed and cooked
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- ¼ cup of almonds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
- 30 grams feta – crumbled or diced
- 1 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Put all of the ingredients for the dip (not the topping ingredients) into a food processor and process until a thick paste forms. Aim for a chunky texture
- Spoon the dip into a serving bowl and top with the extra walnuts, feta and a drizzle of olive oil
- Toast the Pane di casa and slice or cut into serving wedges
Hints and Tips:
If you wish to cut the bread into shapes, you can cook the bread in a sandwich press rather than the toaster or oven and this allows them to cut easier into your desired shape.
I used up this dip as a spread on sandwiches across the week and also stirred it through a baked cherry tomato pasta one night for dinner.
Do your children love bread cut into certain shapes? I’d love to know via the comments below.
*This post was created for Bakers Delight. My recipe may or may not be selected for inclusion by them in their project.
You may also like:
Join me here: