Sugar Free Muffins – Zucchini, Carrot and Orange
I made this muffins using one of the large purple organic heirloom carrots we collected from our trip to the Farmers Market. I love these carrots, they are lovely and sweet and full or antioxidants. They are said to contain 28 times more anthocyanins, the antioxidant that creates the purple-red pigment in blueberries and raspberries. (See University of Southern Queensland article here)
I bake something most weeks for Punky’s kinder snacks and Mr Fresh’s lunch. I like these snack to be healthy. Punky’s kinder has a wonderfully strict policy on snacks and this is one item that he can easily take along to enjoy.
Makes: 6 large and 6 very small muffins
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes for the small muffins and 35-40 minutes for the large ones
- 125 grams of softened butter
- Juice of 2 small oranges – (2/3 cup)
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 and 1/2 cups of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- 2 eggs
- 1 large carrot – grated (I used a purple one)
- 1 small zucchini – grated
- Heat the oven to 160 degrees
- Add the butter and (half of the juice) 1/3 of a cup of the juice to a bowl and beat until creamy and thickened like whipped cream
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the second 1/3 cup of orange juice
- Stir to combine
- Add the mixture to muffin tins and bake for 25-40 minutes depending on the size of the muffin. To test readiness insert a skewer or then end of a knife. If it removes cleanly the muffins are ready
- Cool in tins for a few minutes then remove to cool on a cake cooling rack
Hints and Tips:
- Use gloves when grating purple carrots as they will stain your fingers
- I freeze these muffins individually to use across the week for snacks for kinder and Mr Fresh’s work lunch
Other things I have made recently with the gorgeous purple carrots included:
We have also just found some purple carrot seeds so we will plant them this week and try again with carrots. They seem to be the one thing I can not get to grow… I have had 4 unsuccessful attempts to date.
Do you enjoy savory or sweet muffins best? What is your favorite combination?
This post is linked to Veggie Mama’s Meatless Monday. Enjoy your day.
You may also like:
Join me here: