Fresh and Fast – Szechuan Salted Fish
I made this in a rush last night for dinner. My boys have both been ill with terrible colds for more than a week and yesterday it knocked me down too. I feel like I have been hit in the head with a sledge hammer and so was not really in the mood to cook. This was on the table quickly. I know some of you will be wondering if my kids ate it as well? They did but I left the Szechuan salt out of theirs. They had plain crumbed fish.
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of rock salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
- 300 – 400 grams of fish of choice (not well suited a meaty thick fish)
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 3- 4 bread ends to make breadcrumbs – Make about 1 and 1/2 cups
- lime wedges to serve
- Vegetables or salad of choice to accompany
- To make the Szechuan salt – Toast the peppercorns in a hot pan for a few minutes and then add all of the ingredients to a mortar and pestle and pound until the mix is combined. It doesn’t need to be too fine
- Dip each piece of fish into the flour and then the egg and then the breadcrumbs (I did the kids pieces first) and then add 1/2 tablespoon of the salt mix to the bread crumbs and mix it to combine well.
- Repeat with all remaining pieces of fish
- Cook fish in a hot pan for a few minutes each side until golden in colour and cooked through (time will vary depending on the size of the fish pieces)
- Serve with vegetables or salad
Hints and Tips:
- You will have left over Szechuan salt. Place it in a jar to use next time.
- If you would like the dish less salty, sprinkle the salt on to the fish after crumbing and before cooking
- Szechuan pepercorns can be found at Asian grocers
Do you flavour your fish? What is your favourite combination?
The frequency of Fresh and Fast Friday posts will be changing from next week. They will be every second Friday (unless I hear strong objections!)
Get a weekly delivery of Fresh content straight to your in-box.
Join me here: