This sauce is one of my “kitchen essentials”. I always have at least one bottle on hand in the fridge. It has a sweet, but spicy zing. It works perfectly as a dipping sauce for fish cakes, spring rolls, sausage rolls, polenta chips, dumplings, and almost any other finger food. You can adjust the level of chili heat by using more or less chilis, or leaving in the seeds. Using the quantities below I would not call this sauce spicy, however it depends on what you are accustomed to.
Once you try this recipe you will also need to always have a bottle on hand at all times. It is so easy to make that there is no reason to buy sweet chili sauce again. Make it from scratch, savor the flavor and experience the satisfaction of knowing that you made it. Do I need to say more???
- 4 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 4 long red chillis – finely chopped, leave the seeds in one and remove the seeds from the others
- 1 and ½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cm ginger – grated
- ¾ tablespoon of dark palm sugar
- Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan and simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes
- Remove from the heat and pot into a steralised bottle
- Use within 3-6 weeks and refrigerate when opened
I would love for you to tell me if you try and love this recipe.
It is so simple, the perfect addition to your fridge and a great idea for a home made Christmas gift… Get to it!
You may also like:
Join me here: