This salad is a perfect entertaining option as well as a gorgeous family meal. It is our favorite salad, it is almost impossible to leave any on the plate.
I made this glorious salad for dinner last night and realised that it was on here with a picture from 2011 attached to it. It was hideous, I cringed and grabbed the camera! If you had of seen the earlier image on this post there is no way that you would have been tempted to make it, and that would have been a great shame.
I am slowly making way back through my archives and re-photographing and formatting the best recipes that we continue to enjoy on our family dinner table.
- 250 grams lamb backstrap or piece of butterflied lamb shoulder
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 150-200 grams of mixed rocket, baby spinach leaves and lettuce
- 150-200 grams cherry tomatoes - halved
- 100 grams of haloumi cheese - cubed
- 350 grams pumpkin - cubed and baked
- 1 small capsicum - quartered and baked then sliced
- pinch ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- Combine the ingredients for the marinate and massage into the lamb. Allow to marinate for a few hours or overnight if possible
- Cook the lamb until rare/medium rare over a high heat
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes then slice thinly against the grain
- Brown the haloumi cubes in a hot pan and remove to add to the salad
- Lay out the salad ingredients on a platter and top with the cooked lamb and drizzle with the dressing
Swap the haloumi for goats cheese or feta
Serve on cous cous instead of salad
Add char grilled zucchini and a sliced boiled egg
Cook and Prep time for this recipe do not include time to marinate the lamb
The longer you marinate the meat the more fabulous the flavor
*This recipe was originally published Nov 22 2011. It was edited and re-published with updated images and formatting 29/04/2014.
You may also like:
Join me here: