December is a crazy month. It is super busy and the evening routine with the children is often disrupted by a party, visitors or activity. That means tired and cranky kids, and if unprepared leads to a stressful frenzy of activity to get them fed and into bed. My solution to this is to be well prepared for the craziness of December. I allocate time in the lead up for creating a stash of kid friendly meals to put in the freezer. These can be served on one of those frantic evenings. The recipe below freezes well. It works well as a finger-food snack for entertaining, it is a good meal for the kids with a salad or vegetables added as a side and it is perfect for grown-up work lunches. It is quick and easy to make. It is delicious. It is a winner!
- 150 grams of fresh spinach leaves washed and dried
- 500 grams of ricotta (light)
- ⅓ cup of parmesan cheese grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- pinch salt
- 2-3 grinds black pepper
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- 4 sheets of ready made puff pastry
- 1 egg whisked for brushing the pastry prior to cooking
- Take pastry sheets out of the fridge to defrost and turn on oven to 180 degrees
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spoon - except the egg
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture (depending on the size you wish to make) onto the corner of a pastry sheet and fold over into a triangle shape.
- Continue until all of the mixture is used
- Brush the top of triangles with the beaten egg mixture
- Put the pastries on a baking tray lined with baking paper to prevent sticking
- Cook for 20 minutes or until golden.
If you are cooking different sizes as I do, the small ones will cook faster so keep an eye on them. I always set my oven timer for 5 minutes prior to the time I think it will be ready. I do this so that I do not forget about it. Usually I start something else after putting food in the oven and forget about it.... I hope other people do that too and I do not need to get my head checked? I think it is about being a mum and doing a million things at once!
Add prosciutto to the ingredients if you enjoy the flavor.
Serve as a weekend meal with a salad
You may also like:
Join me here: