We have been on a bit of a (smoked) salmon run this month. My boys love the taste of it and I love that it is full of protein and B group vitamins. I also love that no cooking is required, you can just add it to any dish and serve. This salad is very quick to make, light and fresh.
I used lemongrass as I enjoy the freshness and spark it brings a dish. The fresh flavour and cold noodles give the dish a summery feel. I have lemongrass from last year in my herb patch. It is a little damp on the ends from winter weather but once that is removed it is ready to use. The mint and basil are also from my garden.
I added “buy more basil” to my garden list after making this recipe. I have only one plant in so far, not nearly enough to keep the tomatoes, the household, or my pesto-loving friends happy.
This meal can be prepared during the day and set aside for the evening. It is an easy entertaining dish or good for evenings when there is running around to do after school.
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 360 grams Udon dry noodles ( 1 and 1/3 packets)
- 1 fresh lemon grass stalk chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of palm sugar
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon oil – (I used a lime infused oil – plain will also work)
- 1/2 cucumber finely shredded
- 1 capsicum – finely sliced – I used half a yellow and half a red one
- 1 carrot – finely sliced
- handful of fresh basil – torn
- handful of fresh mint – chopped fine
- 100 grams hot smoked salmon flakes
- Cook the noodles in boiling water according to the packet instructions, then drain and set aside
- To a mortar and pestle add the lemongrass, palm sugar, lime juice and oil and pound until well combined
- Combine the vegetables, noodles, herbs and lemongrass dressing and toss to combine and coat the noodles
- Add the salmon flakes on top and serve
Hints and Tips:
- Salmon can be substituted with tuna or chicken if preferred
- Add freshly sliced chilli when serving is desired
Fresh and Fast is usually a Friday but I have a lovely giveaway for you on Friday instead. Be sure to visit again to enter.
You may also like:
Join me here: