Asian Style Beef
Have you run out of ideas to cook in your slow cooker? It is Winter, it is cold! Warm, nourishing, comfort food is a must.
This recipe is rich, the meat falls apart, it has the added warmth and sharpness of chilli added at the end. It is family friendly (minus the chilli).
Get out that slow cooker and press start!
This recipe was inspired by a recipe for braised short ribs in Delicious Magazine November 2012.
- 1 kg chuck steak - cubed and trimmed of any excess fat
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 cm ginger - finely chopped
- 1 carrot - peeled and diced small
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing cooking wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks - whole
- 1 star anise
- ½ cups beef stock
- 300 grams mushrooms - whole
- In a hot pan brown the meat, remove and set aside
- Add oil to the pan and then the onion, garlic, ginger and carrot. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until softened
- Add the meat back to the pan and stir
- Add the soy, honey, sesame oil, Shaoxing and bring to a simmer
- Add to the slow cooker with the cinnamon stick, star anise and stock
- Set the slow cooker to high for 4 hours
- In the last hour of cooking add the mushrooms and stir
- Serve with polenta chips, fresh chilli and spring onion and asian greens
I will be sharing my favorite recipes from my slow cooker over the coming weeks.
You may also like:
Join me here: