Simple salads and side dishes are a requirement at this time of year. A salad that is easy to put together, looks pretty and tastes great can be thrown together after work, taken to a BBQ or a friend’s house to add to the dinner table.
Over the past few months we have had a steady stream of beetroot coming from the garden. They add a wonderful vibrancy to the meal table.
Beetroot are very easy to grow from seed. The best thing about growing beetroot at home is that you can do so all year round in most areas of Australia. They will grow in pots as well as they grow in a garden bed. Re-sowing seeds every 4-6 weeks will mean they are never on your grocery shopping list. You can harvest them fresh from the back yard all year around. You can read my growing notes for beetroot here to get started.
Carrots are another vegetable that can be grown all year round and if continuously sown they will also keep you well supplied. The combination of both of these kitchen garden staple plantings makes perfect sense don’t you think? Grow them fresh and cook them as harvested from the garden.
This is a very simple recipe, barely a recipe at all but when the days are crowding in, a little prompt is sometimes all you need. Ingredients you can grow and have on hand to collect from the vegetable garden – fresh, tasty, and healthy will remove one stress of a busy day – meal time. No shopping required, grab what you need from the backyard.
I hope that this recipe and the hundreds of others you can find via the Recipe Index page will provide you with inspiration and new family meals to enjoy.
- 1 bunch small/baby dutch carrots - cleaned or peeled
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- pinch salt
- 2 small beetroot - boiled until cooked through
- fresh spinach or lettuce leaves
- 50 grams feta cheese - broken or cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- juice ½ lemon
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Set the oven to 160 degrees
- Add the carrots to a baking pan and drizzle with the olive oil, honey and salt
- Bake for 15 minutes until just tender
- Cook the beetroot in boiling water until a skewer is easily inserted and removed with no resistance (about 10 minutes depending on the size of the beetroot)
- Add the fresh spinach, and/or lettuce leaves to a serving plate
- Once the carrots have cooked, remove from the oven and baking pan to cool and keep any pan juices aside to use with the dressing
- Remove the cooked beetroot from the water and cut into pieces, remove the skin by scooping the beetroot out with a spoon after it has been cut if the skin was not removed prior to cooking
- Allow to cool
- Combine any juices from the carrot roasting pan with the orange blossom water, honey, lemon juice and olive oil and combine by whisking with a fork
- Add the cooled carrots and beets to the salad on the plate and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and pieces of feta
This salad may be enjoyed warm or cold
Order yours here now and use the school holiday period to set up your vegetable garden with your children. Don’t let another year go by without starting your family vegetable garden. Start now and your children will soon be collecting your home grown vegetables to add to the meal table in the new year.
You may also like:
Join me here: