*This post is sponsored by Diabetes Australia.
Salmon is a fish that I like to serve for celebrations, it’s creamy, soft luscious flesh is loved by all members of our family. This meal is festive, healthy and light, perfect for a hot Summer Christmas. The flavors are zesty and fresh. The slight nuttiness of the black rice and the crispness of the salad compliment the soft texture and rich buttery flavor of the salmon.
Did you know:
- Every five minutes an Australian is diagnosed with diabetes
- An estimated 1.7 million Australians are affected by diabetes
- Diabetes is the fastest growing chronic disease in the country: forecast to become the number one burden of disease in Australia in the next five years.
The eftpos Giveback 2013 is focused on giving back to Australia. This year the campaign will donate up to $2 million between the Cancer Council Australia and Diabetes Australia.
Press CHQ or SAV to help them donate. The eftpos Giveback donation will help fund a new online platform to revolutionize support for 1.5 million Australians with diabetes, prevention for more than 2 million people with pre-diabetes and an awareness campaign to focus on the seriousness of diabetes.
Submit YOUR healthy recipe, judges are selecting one each week, with two submissions each receiving a $1,000 exclusive dining experience during the Giveback program. The competition closes on December 24. You can find out more and submit your recipe here.
- 1 red chilli - deseeded
- 1 teaspoon palm suger
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 kaffir lime leaf finely chopped
- 1 cucumber - peeled and finely sliced
- 1 small carrot - peeled and finely shaved
- ¼ fresh coconut - finely sliced (or replace with dried shredded coconut)
- ¼ small capsicum
- ½ avocado - sliced
- 1 cup black rice - cooked according to packet instructions
- 400 grams fresh salmon - cut into 4 uniform sized pieces
- black sesame seeds
- 1 kaffir lime leaf finely shredded
- 1 chilli sliced (optional)
- Pound the ingredients in a mortar and pestle until combined and set aside
- Once the rice is cooked you can make it look a little festive by shaping it using a cookie cutter mold - I used a star shaped one.
- Combine the salad ingredients and place it on serving plates
- Cook the salmon in a hot pan for a few minutes each side until cooked as desired
- To serve, top the rice with the salad and/or the salmon
- Drizzle with the dressing and the extra shredded kaffir lime leaf and chili (optional)
Do you have a healthy recipe to submit to be in the running for a fabulous dining experience? Good luck!
I was financially compensated for developing this recipe. If you are a regular reader you will recognize it to be the type of recipe that would appear here regardless of this.
You may also like:
Join me here: