Marinated Roast Chicken – cooked in a bag
Chicken, radishes and strawberries, not eaten together, but together as childhood memories.
Food memories are powerful things, they have the ability to transport you back in time.
As a child I recall visiting my Grandma’s home for a roast dinner. While waiting for dinner I was told to play inside. My brother & I played shop with Grandmas’ button collection. After a period of time I wandered outside and was confronted with the sight of a headless chook running around the yard! I did not connect the dots for a long time after – the menu for dinner and the chook…. My Grandma had a wonderful garden full of vegetables and fruit trees. She made jams, chutney, dried her own fruit and made a wide array of delights with fresh produce she had grown. I wish now I had spent more time in her garden and in her kitchen learning from her.
My Nan utilised the space beside the driveway of her home to grow a row of fruit and vegetables. The most memorable were the fiery hot radishes & the deliciously sweet strawberries.
My Grandma had a decent sized yard that was mostly utilised for producing food crops and my Nan used a very small space. Both created delicious treats and great childhood memories from using what they had available. You do not need to have alot of space to plant a variety of fresh salad, vegetables and herbs to use in your cooking. Coupled with in season, local produce you can made delicious fresh meals for your family and friends. I hope that you get some ideas from my posts and from following my activities in the garden and kitchen on the A Fresh Legacy Facebook page
In honor of Grandma’s headless chook this is my recipe for an easy, tasty, no mess roast chicken.
- 1 family sized roasting chicken
- 3 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch salt
- Freshly washed rocket leaves
- ½ bunch radish washed and thinly sliced, or halved
- 1 bunch of baby carrots peeled
- 1 zucchini peeled, sliced and char grilled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Mix flavorings together in a bowl and then rub into the skin of the chicken
- Put the chicken inside an oven bag (find these in the supermarket near the foil and kitchen plastic wrap)
- Place bagged chicken on a baking tray or dish
- Cook chicken for 25-30 minutes per 500 grams, depending on your oven
- Remove from oven and rest for 5-10 minutes
- CAREFULLY cut open the top of the bag and avoid the escaping steam. It is very hot!!
- Remove the bag from the chicken and slice to serve.
- Combine the ingredients and dress with the dressing
!Other flavor ideas -
Mix with some olive oil and rub onto the skin of the bird before placing in the bag.
Garlic, fresh thyme, and a piece of preserved lemon chopped finely, salt and pepper
Garlic, ginger, sweet chili sauce
Fresh Sage and thyme leaves, salt and pepper
Fresh Tarragon leaves, salt and pepper
*This recipe was updated 22/11/13. The recipe format and images where updated.
You may also like:
Join me here: