Steamed Chicken Fried Rice and Quinoa
I am thrilled to announce that I have re-invented my family fried rice recipe. Fried rice is an all time family favorite here. It is right up there with my spaghetti bolognese in terms of a crowd pleaser.
My re-invention of fried rice includes:
- From my garden – baby broccoli, fresh herbs and chilli (for the adults)
- Steamed Chicken – cooked in the rice cooker
- Using the rice cooker to cook the meal – who would have thought!?
If you are a regular reader, you may have noticed that I tend to go off on tangents (or themes) that I am interested in. This Winter I have been obsessing with Italian food after our trip to Italy. I have also documented a number of my favorite slow cooker recipes that I created using the slow cooker gifted to me by my mum.
This is another of those tangent recipes – The lovely people at Kambrook sent me a Rice Cooker that includes a steamer. In true Kyrstie form I have been testing it out non stop. Now I am sharing some of my favorite meals made with it with you. I started off with this Rice Cooker Risotto.
With the exception of the egg, this meal was cooked entirely in the rice cooker – which in hindsight I could have done first and then set it aside until required…I love that you can cook ingredients in the pot prior to adding the rice, which it then automatically cooks.
*This recipe is based on this machine. Verify your rice cooker has these functions or adapt process and timing as required.
- 1 cm ginger - grated
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- handful mushrooms - chopped
- ⅓ cup peas
- ½ capsicum - diced
- ½ zucchini - diced
- 2 eggs whisked
- handful of baby broccoli
- 2 cups rice
- ½ cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 200-250 grams chicken breast sliced into strips
- coriander to serve
- soy sauce to serve
- freshly sliced chilli to serve (optional)
- To the rice cooker bowl add the ginger, garlic and oil
- Turn on the machine and cook for 2 min then stir
- Add the vegetables, stir and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the rice and quinoa, water and sauces
- Place the sliced chicken into the steamer once the above ingredients are in the bowl and cook on auto (approximately 15 minutes)
- Cook the egg in a pan and chop into pieces
- Shred the chicken add it with the egg to the rice and vegetables
- Serve with soy sauce and fresh coriander
*I was not paid, or required by Kambrook to write this post. As mention, I was gifted the rice cooker. Opinions are my own and based on my experience of using the machine.
You may also like:
Join me here: