Tacos have been one of my favorite meals since I was a child. My children now enjoy them, the difference being that I make them from scratch rather than using a packet mix. They are easy to make and taste better than the packet mix version.
This is our family taco recipe. I hope that your family enjoys them as much as we do.
- Serves: Family of 4 (with left overs – if you have young children)
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Taco Seasoning Mix:
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 500 grams of chicken breast sliced into strips or minced
- 1 tin Cannellini or kidney beans – 425 grams rinsed
- 1/2 cup of home made tomato sauce (substitute with chopped tomatoes, or tinned tomatoes)
- Add the oil to a pan and when warm add the garlic
- Add the spices for the taco seasoning mix and stir to combine until fragrant
- Add the chicken and stir until browned on all sides
- Add the drained beans and the tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes)
- Simmer for approximately 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through
- Serve with oven warmed taco shells or pita bread accompanied by salad ingredients of your choice. See suggestions below.
We eat our tacos accompanied with whatever ingredients are on hand, they usually include:
- Taco shells heated in the oven until crisp and warm
- Mashed avocado
- Fresh lettuce or salad leaves
When I have been making this recipe over the last few months I have been making a salsa to go with it also.
Have you tried making your own taco seasoning?
You may also like:
Join me here: