Healthy Baked Chicken Bites -
with BBQ Dipping Sauce
Chicken nuggets – the meal after every child’s heart? I think not! Do not reserve this meal for the children (who will love them), they will also be sought after by the adults. I can verify that they are a treat with a cold beer or vino.
I made this meal for fun, to see if I could re-create a fast food item and make it family friendly. What I discovered was a healthy family friendly meal as well as a fabulous finger food idea for entertaining.
I have included my recipe for BBQ dipping sauce. When I was scratching up recipe ideas in my note book it occurred to me that chicken nuggets on television always include a dipping sauce….
If you are a regular reader you will know that I have a (slight) obsession with home-made condiments. Today that is your bonus as it is a fab BBQ sauce that I will make again and use for other meals.
- Baked Chicken Nuggets
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1cm cube of fresh ginger – grated
- 2 cloves garlic – chopped finely
- 1 small shallot – chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon
- generous pinch of salt
- 400 grams chicken mince
- small carrot – peeled and grated
- 4 bread ends – processed to a crumb
- ½ cup of plain flour
- 1 egg – whisked
- BBQ Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 lemon – zest and juice
- 1 cm of ginger – grated
- 2 cloves garlic – chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Assemble Chicken Nuggets
- To a warmed pan add the oil, ginger, garlic, shallot, tarragon and pinch of salt and stir for a few minutes until fragrant
- To a mixing bowl add the mince, carrot, and warmed ginger, garlic etc. Mix to combine
- Use a spoon to scoop a small amount out of the bowl and mold it into a small log shape. Continue until all the mince is used.
- On a plate put the bread crumbs on one half and the flour on the other
- Add the whisked egg to a bowl
- Use a fork to dip each chicken nugget first the flour then the egg (turning to coat) and finally toll in the crumbs and set aside
- Repeat until all nuggets are crumbed
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes
- BBQ Dipping Sauce
- Add all ingredients for the sauce to a saucepan, stir then over a low heat then allow it to simmer for approximately 3 minutes
- Remove from heat and set aside in a dish for serving
- Cook Chicken Nuggets
- Heat oven to 180 degrees
- Drizzle a baking tray with a small amount of oil and place the nuggets onto the tray
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn each one and continue to bake for another 10 minutes until cooked through (20 minutes in total)
- Serve with your choice of sides. We enjoyed corn, baked kale chips and honey baked eggplant.
Cook time is based on the nuggets being made to the size described. If they are made larger they will take longer to cook through
If you do not wish to make your own bread crumbs as per the recipe – use purchased ones and approximately ½ cup.
What “fast foods” have you re-invented?
I am happy to add these golden nuggets to our family menu and to my collection of entertaining/finger food ideas.
One of these days very soon I will write a new newsletter, it has been a long time coming…..If you have not yet signed up for Fresh Updates do so now – via the box in the right hand column of the page and you will get a copy in your inbox one day soon (hopefully!).
Have a wonderful Australia Day long weekend.