I adore berry season. They are packed full of wonderful nutrients and antioxidants. I am especially excited about berries this year as I have discovered a local berry farm that grows organically and allows you to go and pick your own. You can read about our strawberry picking adventures here.
These pancakes are always a winner at our place, they are simple, fresh and tasty. A lovely breakfast or lunch treat to serve up to your Christmas visitors (if you need an excuse!) The flavour variations are endless, just replace the berries with your choice of fruit. Bananas, apricots, peaches and
- 1 and 1/4 cups of plain flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups of milk (or soy milk)
- 1/3 cup of raspberries – fresh, if available, and mashed or pureed in a blender
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar (optional, not required)
- 1 egg -whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple Syrup to serve
- Mix all ingredients with a whisk and set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add a drizzle of oil into the base of the pan
- Ladle the mixture into the pan to form the desired size, tip the pan to distribute evenly
- Cook until the top starts to set and then flip to cook the other side
- Serve with additional berries and maple syrup if desired
A few months ago I attended a promotional event that featured a cook off, Masterchef style, and I made a version of my usual pancakes, adding strawberries, a crushed Weetbix and some fresh basil leaves instead of the raspberries. They are probably more of an adult flavour, but they a worth a try. The freshness of the basil with the sweet strawberries worked a treat.
What is your favourite breakfast treat?
You may also like:
Join me here: