Chicken Quinoa with Mint & Lemon
Am I one of the few people who had not tried quinoa until I made this recipe?
We tried it in this recipe last night and really enjoyed it. Well…. all of us except Cuddles (17 months), who has been very fussy with his food lately. Punky (4 years) will try and eat anything. It is a rare event when he refuses to eat something. The only down side to Punky’s eating habits is that he takes soooo L O N G to eat anything (eg: dinner can take almost and hour) I was hoping Cuddles would enjoy it because quinoa is said to be the perfect balance of all 8 amino acids. High in protein,calcium and iron, very nutritious.
- Serves: 4 adults
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Rest Time: 10 minutes
(I know, I broke my own Fresh and Fast rule of a meal in 30 minutes or less, but it is a “super-food” recipe so surely 5 minutes extra is ok??)
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 tablespoon of oil of choice
- 2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1.5 cm of fresh ginger – chopped
- 2 shallots – finely chopped
- 1 chicken breast – sliced into pieces
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 carrots – finely chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum – sliced finely
- 3 sprigs of fresh lemon thyme
- 2 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 8 spinach leaves – chopped
- large handful of fresh mint leaves
Put the water and quinoa into a saucepan and bring to the boil
Simmer for 15 minutes then turn off heat and sit covered for 10 minutes
To a pan add the oil, garlic, shallots and ginger and stir until fragrant
Add the chicken and cook until browned
Add the lemon zest, carrots, capsicum, thyme, parsley and spinach and stir until the spinach wilts
Add the lemon juice and remove from heat
Stir the mint leaves through
Put the quinoa onto plates to top with the chicken and vegetables to serve
Hints and Tips:
- I used organic heirloom carrots from the local Farmer’s Market – Purple, white and orange
- Variation to the recipe – Add 2 chillis finely chopped with the garlic at step 3 and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce with the lemon juice at step 6 for an adult version of this dish
- Eat quinoa warm or cold, we enjoyed it warm
Have you tried quinoa? What is your favorite way to eat it?
This post is Fresh and Fast – I would love you to join me and link your fresh and fast recipe below.
Take my button from the sidebar and inspire others with your quick healthy recipe.
You may also like:
Join me here: