While I am swanning around the Amalfi Coast on my very special holiday, I thought that you might enjoy trying my smooth and creamy Potato and Leek Soup.
Last week I posted a Carrot and Orange Soup . This is another I made in my new soup maker, but it can be also made on the stove in a pot. Do you believe that I had never tried potato and leek soup prior to making this? True story!
I have never been a huge fan of soup but my kids really enjoy it so it is becoming an increasingly common meal at our place. I love that the variations are endless and it is so simple to make. The caramelised onions in this recipe add a nice depth of flavor.
The recipe below is based on cooking it on the stove. If you are lucky enough to have a soup maker, cook the onions and then add them with the other ingredients and turn it on – simple!
This recipe is based on one provided in the recipe book that comes with the Soup Simple Soup Maker.It was the first soup that I made using the machine so used the provided recipe to determine the required quantities.
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 250 grams onions - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 leek - chopped
- 600 grams potato - peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary salt (or plain salt)
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- fresh rosemary leaves
- salt and pepper
- fresh bread
- To a warm pan add the oil and then the sliced onions and cook for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the sugar and stir, continue to cook for a further 10 minutes until the onions have started to caramelise. Remove from the heat and add to a soup pot and then add the remaining ingredients
- Simmer on a medium heat for 30-35 minutes.
- Blend to a smooth consistency with a stick blender and serve with fresh rosemary leaves, salt and pepper and fresh bread
*This is not a sponsored post – I am enjoying experimenting with my new soup maker and am finding soup to be a healthy and easy meal choice for cool Autumn nights.
Tell me – what is your favorite soup flavor?