Do you need a recipe that encourages your children to eat vegetables that are not hidden? Give this one a try.
This recipe is perfect family food. The vegetables are small, but still visible. These sausage rolls contain six different varieties of vegetable if you follow the recipe. Your children will be asking for more without realizing how many vegetables they contain.
These are tasty little nibbles for entertaining friends, or an easy weekend family dinner. The kids can get involved and help, they will love them even more.
Find my 10 tips to get children to eat vegetables (without hiding them) here.
- 5 sheets of pre-made puff pastry
- 500 grams lean pork mince
- ½ small carrot - peeled and grated
- ¼ sweet potato - peeled and grated
- ½ zucchini - peeled and grated
- handful of green beans - chopped into small pieces
- ½ corn cob - kernals cut off the cob
- 1 cup of finely chopped greens - I used a mix from the garden of spinach, kale, and bok choy
- 1 egg - whisked lightly
- 1 tablespoon Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce)
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- Olive oil for basting
- sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Remove the pastry from the freezer to defrost
- To a bowl add all ingredients and stir well to combine
- Set the oven to heat to 170 degrees
- Once the pastry has defrosted cut each sheet in half
- Add the filling mixture in a line across each sheet
- Roll the pastry to enclose the mixture
- Place on a lined baking tray
- Brush each roll with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Cut each roll into 4 even sized pieces
- Place tray into middle shelf of oven to cook for 30 minutes until golden brown
- Cool on a wire rack
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce and a side salad or side dish if this is a main meal for your family
They make a great work lunch or food for entertaining
If your family enjoys coriander, add fresh coriander leaves to the ingredient list
Ensure that you do not overfill the pastry with filling. It should be able to be completely rolled so that that joining edge sits under each roll.
Cut to size prior to placing in the oven to bake
These freeze well
Make double if entertaining as they are very addictive!
If you like this recipe please share it with your friends and sign up for the Fresh Updates Newsletter.
Get a weekly delivery of Fresh content straight to your in-box.
Join me here: