Do you know that it is Meat Free Meat this week? While we are not participating in Meat Free Week, I do love to have at least one, sometimes two, meat free days per week as part of our regular family menu. Mushrooms are a fabulous way to add bulk and great nutritional value to a vegetarian meal. Adding this meatiness can be important to family harmony for those who have dedicated meat lovers in the family, or those who are generally adverse to a vegetarian meal.
This Mushroom Noodle recipe is satisfying, healthy and very moreish. It will most certainly be returning to our family table often.
I made a slight variation of the recipe for the kids – I chopped the vegetables much smaller than shown in the picture and do not add the Korean chilli paste (Gochujang).
This is my recipe for Mushroom Noodles, I hope that you love it:
- 270 grams organic Udon Noodles - cooked and drained
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic - chopped finely
- 400 grams mushrooms - halved
- 100 grams green beans - sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon Korean Chilli Paste (Gochujang)
- ½ lime - juiced
- 1 small red capsicum - finely sliced
- 100 grams of fresh kale and/or spinach - roughly chopped
- Fresh basil and coriander leaves to serve and fresh red chilli finely sliced (optional)
- Cook the noodles - read the cooking instructions and remove and drain 2 minutes prior to the recommended cook time
- Add the oil to a hot pan on the stove top
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant for a couple of minutes
- Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside
- Add the mushrooms and beans to the pan and leave to cook 3-4 minutes - do not stir during this time
- Stir to turn the vegetables and add the noodles and all of the remaining ingredients including the garlic - but NOT the spinach and/or kale
- After 2 minutes add the spinach and/or kale
- Once the spinach/kale wilts remove and serve topped with the fresh herbs and chilli if desired.
You may also like:
Join me here: