Chocolate Chunk Almond Cookies
This post is part of Thankful Thursday at Kate Says Stuff. One of the things in my life that I am most thankful for is my beautiful mum. I feel very fortunate to have a strong relationship with my mum. We live a distance apart but talk via email or the phone at least 4 times a week, often more. She is my best friend, a confidant, a rock. I know that no matter what my mum will always be available to help me, support me and guide me. I really hope that my children will one day say that about me. If that happens I think that I can say I am a great mum, the best I can be.
- 200 grams of butter
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1¼ cup of self raising flour - sifted
- ½ cup of plain flour sifted
- 1 cup of chopped almonds with skin left on
- ½ cup of coconut
- 1 cup of dark chocolate bits - chopped
- 1 tablespoon of coconut extra
- Prepare an oven tray by lining it with baking paper
- Set the oven to 180 degrees
- Beat the butter, sugar and essence together until light and fluffy
- Add the egg
- Stir in the combined flours, nuts, chocolate bits and coconut and mix well. The mix will be like a dough
- With floured hands roll the mix into small balls (the size of walnuts)
- Place the rolled balls onto the oven tray and press them with a fork to flatten slightly then sprinkle with coconut
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes
- Place on a cooling tray
I have reached this point in my life without having tried to make this recipe myself as my mum always bakes me a batch when she visits and when I go home she has a freshly baked batch waiting. I have to say that while they are delicious, my batch is lacking something still. Mum doesn’t make this to a recipe she makes it by feel – maybe it was missing the mum love in my batch.
With the delicious almonds and the egg these do not pass the new kinder/mother’s group requirements. They are a home treat and a morning tea snack for Mr Fresh’s lunch box.
Visit some of the other posts at Kate Says Stuff to see what others are thankful for on this Thursday.
Thanks for reading! These cookies are so quick to make, and so delicious I think you should go and put the jug on and set to work – they will be ready in no time.
You may also like:
Join me here: