Mr Fresh does not subscribe to Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Valentines Day or any of the other “days” really. When we had children I had to get him into the swing of both Mothers and Fathers Day. I am not keen on the idea of expensive gifts or trying to cram into a busy restaurant on this day. I do like the idea of saying “thank you” to your mum or dad on this day. A little appreciation can go a long way! Now that my boys are in junior primary school and kinder I love the gifts that they create for these occasions. They are so excited and proud to hand over their gorgeous creations. I guess that this recipe falls into that category. Home made, with love.
While working on some new skin care recipes a few weeks ago, it occurred to me that I had not made Mr Fresh anything to keep his skin looking young, supple and wrinkle free. I had an overflowing collection of glorious new Aromatherapy skin care products filling the bathroom shelves so I made this softening, soothing lotion for him to use each morning after shaving.
This aftershave lotion is quickly absorbed by the skin as it is plant based, it is non greasy. The essential oils that I chose to use are base notes, thus provide a deeper, masculine fragrance. They are soothing, anti-inflammatory and non drying for the skin. I have outlined more about the properties of the ingredients in the table below after the recipe so read on…..
- Fat Phase:
- 6 grams Avocado Oil
- 4 grams Shea Butter
- 5 grams Cocoa Butter
- 10 grams Almond Oil
- 15 grams Emulsifying Wax
- Water Phase:
- 230 grams water (boiled and cooled)
- Active Oils:
- 3 drops Roman Chamomile 3% essential oil
- 1 drop Cypress essential oil
- 1 drop Sandalwood essential oil
- 20 drops Rosehip Oil
- Measure out the ingredients from the Fat Phase into a bowl (that can be placed over a saucepan of water without the ingredient bowl base touching the water). Set the water in the saucepan to simmer
- Allow the fat phase ingredients to melt over a low heat. *They should not be heated above 70 degrees Celsius
- Weigh out the water.
- Pour the fat phase ingredients into a large Pyrex jug (or similar) Use a stick blender to blend the ingredients, adding the water in a slow steady stream
- Continue to blend until the mixture thickens to the consistency of whipped cream
- Stir in the essential oils
- Pour into steralised jars or containers
- Use within a few weeks
Use clean equipment at all times - Use boiling water to rinse any spoons and the blender prior to using
All measurements are in GRAMS not in mls (including all liquids).
This recipe includes naturally sourced ingredients, despite this it is still possible for one or more ingredients to be unsuitable for some people. If you experience any reaction or discomfort (as with any product, or food) you should discontinue use immediately.
If you have a health condition (including pregnancy – probably not applicable for this recipe but you an never tell!! ) do not use essential oils without consulting a qualified therapist. Essential oils are highly concentrated, at approximately 70 times stronger than the plant that they came from. They should only be used as directed, or upon the advice of a trained practitioner. Essential oils must be stored out of reach of children. This recipe is provided for educational purposes. It should not be considered as health advice.
Do you celebrate Fathers Day?
I wish all of the Dad’s put there a great day with their family (and smooth, hydrated skin).
Get a weekly delivery of Fresh content straight to your in-box.
Join me here: