There is something very enjoyable about choosing the items that you would like to your plate from the table.
Add as much, or as little, as you like of each ingredient to make up a plate of flavor just the way YOU like it. My boys love to make up their own dinner plate. I have found this to be a fun way to get the kids to eat a wide variety of foods.
A roast chicken is such a versatile dish. Flavored with your choice of ingredients it can be served:
- as we did here (see below)
- with roast or steamed vegetables or a salad
- cook the chicken in advance to serve cold at the end of a busy day
- roast it to serve hot
- in wraps/buns
- shredded and added to pasta
- rice paper rolls or sushi
Your imagination is really the limit.
The flavors in this dish are fresh and clean and well suited to be served with noodles and crisp fresh vegetables and herbs.
This recipe was inspired by an approaching Winter. The lemongrass in my herb garden is not at it’s best in Winter. I was keen to use up some of of the larger stalks before the plant becomes overwhelmed by the damp cool conditions. I cut the plant back hard in Winter. The other key ingredient in this recipe is Organic Tamari. It gives the roasted chicken a lovely depth of flavor. Tamari is a wheat free soy sauce, naturally brewed from whole organic soy beans. I find the flavor to be smoother and less salty than regular soy sauce. Tamari is one of the Pureharvest ingredients that I have discovered and am enjoying cooking with since we started working together.
- 1 garlic clove - chopped finely
- 1 shallot - chopped finely
- 2 lemongrass stalks - chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon freshly ginger - grated
- 2 tablespoons Organic Tamari
- 1 and ½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Malt Syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 kaffir lime leaf - chopped very finely
- Whole organic free range chicken 1.5 kg approximately
- Heat the oven to 170 degrees
- Add all of the ingredients (except the chicken) to a mortar and pestle or bowl and mix well to combine
- Rub the mixture into the chicken
- Add the chicken to the oven and cook for 50 min to 1 hour until the bird is cooked through
- Remove from the oven, sit for 5 minutes and serve with sides of choice.
Organic Tamari and Rice Malt Syrup are available from good delis and wholefood stores and some Coles and Woolworths stores. If your local supermarket does not stock them, ask them to, or fill in the product request form. These stores now take product requests from customers.
If you can not find either you may substitute Tamari for Light Soy Sauce and Rice Malt Syrup for honey (but it will taste better if you make it to this recipe!)
You may also like:
Join me here: