Tasty Meatball Recipe – Lamb & Spinach
This recipe was inspired by a conversation I had with my mum a few weeks ago. We were talking about the Tomato Sauce that I made with my friend Deb’s family. One of the gorgeous girls at my Mum’s work also has an annual family sauce day. She had been telling mum that one of their favorite way to use the sauce was to make chicken meatballs.
This is my version of meatballs using spinach and herbs from my garden and the sauce I made with Deb’s family on Sauce Day. There is something comforting and satisfying about meatballs. The crunch of the pine nuts and smooth tang of the fruit make these ones special.
- 500 grams lamb mince
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup of dried apricots or plums finely chopped
- 3 pieces of bread and ¼ cup of Parmesan - whizzed in a processor to a fine crumb (fresh bread crumbs- just under 2 cups)
- 30 grams of fresh spinach leaves (with stems removed) finely chopped - 1 cup
- 2 eggs
- Meatball Sauce
- 2 (long neck) bottles of Sauce Day sauce - or 2 x tins 400 grams tinned tomatoes
- small bunch of fresh parsley - leaves chopped
- small handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- To a bowl add the meatball ingredients
- Mix to combine well
- Use a spoon to scoop the mix from the bowl and roll into small balls. Don't roll large balls as they will take too long to cook through
- Place the rolled meatballs onto a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- When the meatballs have been in the fridge for 15 minutes add the tomato sauce (or tinned tomatoes) to a large warmed pan.
- Add the herbs to the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes
- Remove the meatballs from the fridge and gently add to the pan of tomatoes - the liquid should almost cover the meatballs
- Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through, stir gently occasionally
- Remove from heat and serve with crusty bread and fresh Parmesan.
Gently simmer the meatballs and stir occasionally
I serve this meal to the children with a small amount of pasta
Serve with crusty bread to mop up the sauce
Keep the size of the meatballs small or they will not cook through in this time