What meal can I make with radicchio?
I am so glad you asked! I was wondering the same thing, until I came up with this recipe. Radicchio is a bitter tasting vegetable so it needs to be carefully partnered with other ingredients to allow it’s unique flavour to shine.
I served this meal as pasta dish. My serve was with spiralised carrot and zucchini to meet my SIBO diet requirements.
Adding lemon and anchovy gave lightness and zing to the dish. Browning the radicchio first added some depth of flavour.
If you are yet to give radicchio a try please do so. You may be surprised at how much you enjoy it. The radicchio plants I have growing in the garden will be ready to harvest in the coming month as the weather warms and they have their complete their final growth.
- 1 radicchio - cut into quarters
- olive oil, or oil of choice for cooking
- pasta to serve or one small zucchini and/or carrot spiralised to noodles
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ⅓ chilli finely sliced
- 3 anchovy fillets finely diced
- rind and juice of one lemon
- 150 grams bacon chopped into pieces
- To serve:
- freshly ground pepper
- fresh parsley leaves
- parmesan (optional)
- Add the oil to a pan and heat
- Set a pot of water to boil for the pasta if using it, or prepare the carrot and zucchini
- When the oil is hot, add the radicchio quarters and cook until browned, turn until each quarter has coloured. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Add the pine nuts, chilli, anchovy and lemon zest to the warm pan - with no extra oil. Remove after a minute and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the warm pan and then the bacon
- Stir the bacon a few times until cooked and add the pasta to the boiling water to cook
- Add the radicchio and other ingredients back to the pan to warm when the pasta is 2 min from being ready
- Serve the radicchio ingredients over the pasta or vegetable spirals
- Drizzle with lemon juice, cracked pepper, fresh parsley leaves and parmesan if desired.
Have you cooked with radicchio? I’d love to hear what you made.
Get a weekly delivery of Fresh content straight to your in-box.
Join me here: