Eggplant wrapped lamb souvlaki recipe
Lamb backstraps caught my eye at the butchers last week. I don’t often buy them as they are an expensive cut of meat. I balanced out the weekly menu with some cheaper meals to compensate. When I think about lamb my mind immediately skips to wonderful Greek flavours.
This meal is very quick to complete once a few preparation tasks have been completed so be sure to plan ahead. For maximum flavour the lamb is best marinated for a few hours prior to cooking. You could do this step the day prior. The eggplant strips can also be made in advance and gently reheated prior to serving.
Based on my recent SIBO diagnosis I unable to include any grains in my diet. Eggplant slices have stepped in as a wrap substitute. I would have loved to add a dollop of very garlicky sauce to the plate but garlic is also banned for me. As it turned out, the flavours of the herbs, lamb and eggplant melded together so beautifully there really was nothing I would have changed about this dish if I could do so. It was the most delicious, enjoyable dinner I’ve eaten in the last four weeks. The rest of the family really enjoyed it also. I served a little eggplant on the side for the kids in a deconstructed version as they are not great fans of eggplant yet.
Simple ingredients, classic flavour combinations will make this dish a new family favourite recipe that I am sure will reappear on our family table often. I hope that you love it too.
- 500 grams lamb backstrap
- zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- To Serve:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-2 large eggplants sliced into thin strips lengthways
- cherry tomatoes, sliced
- spinach leaves, rocket or lettuce
- baked capsicum strips (see notes)
- extra lemon if desired
- Combine the ingredients of the marinate and massage into the meat, letting it sit for a few hours or overnight if possible
- Heat a pan that has a wide enough base to lay an eggplant strip
- Add some of the coconut oil once the pan has reached a medium heat
- Add the eggplant strips - as many as will fit at a time and cook each side until golden, remove and repeat until all strips are cooked.
- Cover with a clean cloth and set aside
- Heat a pan to high heat and cook the lamb for a few minutes each side
- Turn off heat and allow to sit for 3 minutes
- Slice lamb thinly against the grain and place on a serving plate so everyone can put together their wraps
The eggplant strips need to be thin enough to roll easily, but not too thin that they rip and fall apart when cooked.
The strips that are not long enough to wrap can be served on the side.
*Preparation time does not include time for the meat to marinate.
If you enjoy this meal please use the share buttons below, or pin it for later if it is not going onto this weeks menu.
You may also like:
Join me here: