I am a little obsessed with finger food. I would much rather nibble on a range of different bits and pieces than sit down to a full meal. That doesn’t work so well when you have a family to feed and are conscious of making sure everyone has had their daily dose of fruit and vegetables. However, my obsession with finger food is the reason we have “Sunday Snacks” on the deck at our place! This little tradition allows me to indulge in my nibbles and to test out new entertaining recipes as I go.
I love that a dish like this can feature as nibbles on a Sunday afternoon with the kids and Mr Fresh, or can be served to guests when entertaining. The possibilities are endless when it comes to the variety of fillings. The rice and egg combination is surprisingly filling, these egg rolls make fresh light meal or lunch.
My two little boys both adore sushi. I make it reasonably often in Summer as an evening meal. Over the last month they have both requested sushi for dinner on numerous occasions. I tried this variation of sushi using egg as the casing rather than yaki nori after seeing a picture in a library book that I was flicking through a while ago. We have been collecting lots of eggplant each week from the garden thus they became the featured filling in this recipe.
These Ginger Tamari Eggplant Rolls are a little fiddly to prepare, as with sushi, but are well worth it. The egg provides a nice flavor variation to regular sushi. You will have rice and eggplant left over from this recipe so you may like to plan another meal the following evening such as fried rice, or biryani. I enjoyed the left over rice and eggplant for lunch the following day. I will most certainly be making the eggplant component of this recipe to serve as a meal on it’s own with rice and vegetables. The flavor is deep and intense with a warm zing of ginger, freshened in this recipe by the glorious crunch of the fresh ingredients that accompany it in the roll.
- 3 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger - grated
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon dark palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 1 small eggplant cut into 3 cm wide strips
- Sunflower Oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- 6 eggs - whisked
- ½ small carrot - julienne
- ½ small cucumber - finely sliced
- handful of snow pea sprouts
- ½ cup of cooked organic brown basmati rice - or rice of choice
- handful of fresh coriander leaves
- To a pan add the garlic, ginger and oil and stir until fragrant
- Add the palm sugar and the Oyster and Tamari Sauce
- Add the eggplant strips to the pan and stir to coat and cook until the eggplant has softened
- Remove the eggplant strips from the heat and set aside
- In a clean pan add some Sunflower Oil (or oil of choice) and then tip in about ⅓ of the whisked egg so that it spreads evenly across the base of the pan
- Cook the egg on a low/medium heat until set and then carefully tip it out of the pan onto a board or bench to cool. Repeat until all of the egg is cooked
- Once cooled, cut the egg into even sized rectangle strips
- Line the edge of the egg rectangle that you have made with a small amount of rice, the eggplant and other ingredients
- Roll away from yourself until encased. You should be able to roll two rolls per strip of egg. Cut each one in half.
Are you a finger food fanatic? Do you incorporate it into your weekly menu or save it for guests?
You may also like:
Join me here: