Summer really delivered in our backyard vegetable garden this year. This is not unusual, I plant with the aim of having abundant produce to harvest across this period. This year I did get more of some things than I bargained for though and it left me scrambling at the end of the season trying to come up with new ways of serving the same Summer vegetables to my family each evening without rebellion!
This char grilled vegetable salad is a lovely meal on it’s own, or a wholesome side dish. The oil free dressing is a delight, a little different to our standard honey balsamic or lemon juice and oil dressing. It is light and fragrant, a glorious combination with the charred flavors of the vegetables and creamy richness of the feta.
This salad takes a little time to prepare but it is worth the effort to char grill the vegetables. They add a wonderful deep flavor to the salad. Start a little early so that you have time to soak the freekeh, or do this the night prior.
- 1 cup freekeh
- 1 small capsicum - sliced into rounds
- 1 small zucchini - sliced into rounds
- 1 small eggplant - sliced into rounds
- about 250 grams of tomatoes - halved
- feta cheese to serve
- ½ tablespoon orange blossom water
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon - juice and zest
- Soak 1 cup of freekeh in water for 1 hour, or overnight if you have time, drain and rinse
- Add 2 and ½ cups of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the soaked freekeh and cook for approximately 15 minutes until the water has been absorbed
- Drain any remaining water and scoop the freekeh onto a serving plate
- Heat a griddle pan and grill the vegetables until all are done and nicely charred
- Allow the vegetables to cool and then add them to the freekeh
- Add cubes of feta
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing and drizzle over the salad to serve
Have you tried using orange blossom in a salad dressing? I first tried it in a gorgeous recipe by chef and author Matt Wilkinson for a carrot side dish. It was dreamy. I have been experimenting with it since then. I had previously only used orange blossom water in skin care recipes so it took some adjusting before I felt like it belonged in my pantry as well as the storage area for my skin care ingredients.
This salad would work beautifully with lamb, or simply to enjoy on it’s own.
You may also like:
Join me here: