Shopping at the Farmers Market
Look at the pictures in this post – If you can give me a reason as to why you would not shop at a Farmers Market (if one is close by) I would love to hear it!
Why shop at a local Farmers Market?
1. It is all about the beautiful fresh produce. I love it. It lasts longer than that purchased elsewhere, and it tastes better
2. Excellent quality and crafted products and produce. The market provides access to award winning produce and products not distributed to large chain stores
2. I enjoy accessing a large variety of in season produce, particularly heirloom vegetables. I like to try new food products
3. It makes me feel good to support local people who work very hard all week, and then some more on the weekends, to bring their amazing produce to the market to share.
4. I love to talk to the producers about their products. I like to ask questions such as:
- “What are your tips for growing such huge amazing leeks?”
- “Where are your products made?”
- “Where are you located?”
- “Did you grow the produce?”
- “Is there any dairy in this product?”
I also like to be able to return with feedback or comments. I worked in retail for many years and that taught me that whilst people are happy to make a complaint, most people do not provide positive feedback. I have been know to spruik at stands of producers that I regularly purchase from and tell other customers how much we love the product.
5. I like know what is in the food I feed my family and how it was produced. If I haven’t made it myself I want to feel happy with the quality of it before I give it to my children.
7. The social aspect of a Farmers Market appeals to me. It is a lovely meeting place for like minded people in the community to gather and happily shop and collect produce. There is usually a coffee stall, food and produce to try. This encourages people to linger and interact. This is opposed to shopping at the supermarket which feels like such a chore to me.
8. Purchasing fresh seasonal produce makes me feel SUPER creative. No sooner am I in the door with my bags of goodies do I line everything up and start to work out what I am going to use to cook. I often have up to 3 meals cooking within an hour as I simply can not wait to use the amazing selection and try the new item(s)
Find a Farmers Market
If you are in Victoria check Victorian Farmers Market Association for a list of markets
The Australian Farmers Market Directory can be found here
Bizzy Lizzy’s Good Things Blog contains a comprehensive list of Australian Markets and Food Markets around the world. Her blog is also a great read so be sure to look around when you visit there.
What do we buy at the Market?
As much as possible! These are the items we always purchase at the Farmers Market
- Peanut Butter
- Olive Oil
- Eggs (if required)
- Cheese (specialty)
- Gourmet products -sauces, flavoured salts, dips, cannales, marinated fetta, nuts, spice mixes
- Meat – we place our order online and often collect it on Market day
Do you shop at a Farmers Market? What is your main reason for doing so?
You may also like:
Join me here: