Chicken and Kale Cannelloni
Do you have a fall-back meal type for quick and easy family meals? Mine is pasta – you already know this if you drop by here regularly. I adore pasta. I love that you can add almost any ingredients together and create a quick, healthy, family meal. It is perfect for using up left over bits and pieces at the end of the week.
Spaghetti bolognese is my boys favourite meal EVER and lasagna is not far behind. Cannelloni is often left out as a meal option because……??? I think it is because it is a little fiddly to prepare. On the flip side it is a great option for providing a little welcome variety to family meals.
I created this recipe to take advantage of the gorgeous capsicums that are providing a steady supply of fruit from our vegetable garden at the moment. The recipe is coupled with new season Tuscan kale. All plates were clean at the end of dinner here when I served this. The image above shows what happened when I taste tested it as I was taking the photographs. I couln’t stop eating it and made quite a mess on the plate. This recipe is destined to be a family favourite.
Our kale is not ready to harvest from the garden but there is an abundant supply of local produce available now that will continue for months to come. This recipe makes a large batch, at least two family meals. It may be frozen if desired.
I used minced chicken breast in this recipe. It would work equally well with beef. This is my recipe for Chicken and Kale Cannelloni. I hope that you and your family enjoy it.
- ½ tablespoon oil
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 6 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped
- 500 grams chicken breast - minced
- 1 carrot - peeled and finely diced
- 3 medium capsicum - finely chopped
- 1 tin diced tomatoes - 400 grams
- ⅓ bunch fresh Tuscan kale - stem removed and finely chopped
- generous pinch salt
- 500 grams oven ready cannelloni tubes
- 2 x Passata 700 grams
- ½ cup water
- 200 grams bocconcini - torn
- fresh parsley and basil leaves
- Add the oil of choice to a large pan and then the onion and garlic
- Warm until softened and fragrant
- Add the minced chicken to brown - stir
- Add the tinned tomatoes, vegetables, season with salt and stir
- Cover and simmer gently for 20 - 25 minutes until the vegetables have softened
- Use a stick blender to create a fine mince
- Set the over to heat to 170 degrees celcius (fan forced)
- Pour ¾ of one passata bottle into the base of a large baking tray
- One by one lay the cannelloni horizontal in the pan and use a knife to push the filling mixture into the tube until filled. Once filled transfer it carefully to the cooking pan
- Repeat until all of the stuffed tubes fill the baking tray
- Cover the filled tubes with the remaining passata and then pour over the water - evenly spread over the tubes
- Scatter some fresh herbs on top and break the bocconcini into pieces and spread evenly across the top also.
- Place into the oven and cook for 25 minutes
- Check for readiness by inserting a skewer into one of the tubes. If there is no resistance the meal is ready. If not, continue to cook in 5 minute intervals, checking for readiness. Cover the cooking pan with aluminium foil if the bocconcini is beginning to brown too much.
- When cooked, removed from the oven and serve with additional fresh herbs
If you wish to create this recipe for a standard meal for a family of four, reduce the ingredients by half.
Enjoy your weekend. I hope that it is wonderful.
You may also like:
Join me here: