Quick Microwaved Eggs with Vegetables
The inspiration for this recipe comes from all over the place.
My best friend is not a great cook. She will not be upset with me saying that. Luckily, her husband is an amazing cook. She called me one day to ask me how to boil an egg (seriously!)
I was excited when she shared a new creation with me that she concocted – an egg cooked and stacked with vegetables and then cheese. She proudly shared her creation with me. I have modified her idea to create this recipe.
Making the eggs in the microwave is a trick I learned from my father in-law. It is a great way to make a healthy snack in a hurry.
The tip for cooking the vegetables in a sandwich press my mum passed onto me from one of her work collegues. I love it, so easy! It’s Fresh and Fast Friday.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 sweet potato (kumara) peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1/2 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1 zucchini peeled and sliced into rounds 1 cm thick
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced into rounds 1 cm thick
- 2 tomatoes sliced into 1 cm rounds
- 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon of light ricotta per adult (half this for kids = 1 egg and 1/2 tablespoon of ricotta)
- fresh rocket or salad leaves
- cherry tomatoes
- avocado slices
- fetta pieces
- homemade chilli jam or hommus dip or sauce of choice
- Put the slice sweet potato (kumara) onto a plate and microwave for 3 minutes to cook it
- Add the cooked sweet potato to a hot pan and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes per side until golden on each side
- While the sweet potato is cooking, put the sliced eggplant and zucchini into a sandwich (maker) press for approximately 3 minutes, then remove
- Add the tomato slices to the sandwich press for about 2 minutes, then remove
- Grease a small ramekin per person, or use a pyrek style glass measuring jug
- Add 2 eggs and ricotta, salt and pepper for each person (1 egg and 1/2 a tablespoon ricotta for a child) and whisk with a fork
- Place into the microwave individually for 30 seconds, whisk again and return for 1 minute 10 seconds (times are variable depending on your microwave)
- The eggs are ready when they rise and look fluffy and there is no runny egg mixture in the ramekin
- Remove from the microwave with oven mitts (it will be hot!). Remove the egg from the ramekin and place onto a serving plate
- Top the egg with the sliced vegetables and fetta pieces
- Add the rocket, tomato and avocado to the plate as a side dish
- Serve with the sweet potato (kumara) chips and chilli jam for the adults or hommus dip for the kids
If you would like to link up a recipe to Fresh and Fast Friday please take my button from the sidebar and add it to your post.
Your recipe must be able to be cooked in 30 minutes or less . I look forward to reading your entry 🙂
Have you ever made eggs in the microwave?
You may also like:
Join me here: