This is a simple meal, quick and easy after a busy day. There is not much else to say about it really other than – try it for yourself. A few fresh ingredients combined for a flavorsome, healthy dinner. I really enjoyed the “wheaty” flavor of the freekeh. It was a nice change to cous cous or quinoa.
Freekeh (pronounced “free-ka”) is young green wheat. According to the package it contains more calcium, potassium, iron and zinc than mature wheat.
- 3 tomatoes halved
- olive oil
- dried oregano
- 1 cup Freekeh - cooked according to package instructions
- 3 poached egg
- 180 grams sardine fillets (remove spine if required)
- Juice ½ - 1 lemon (according to taste and how juicy the lemon is)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- salt and ground pepper
- fresh parsley and oregano
- Set the oven to 180 degrees
- Add the tomatoes to a baking pan and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over dried oregano
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes (cook time will vary slightly depending on size)
- Cook the Freekeh while waiting for the tomatoes to cook, drain and add to a serving dish
- Top the Freekeh with the poached eggs, sardines and baked tomatoes
- Combine the lemon juice, oil and salt and pepper and drizzle over the top.
- Scatter with the fresh herbs to serve
Are you a Freekeh fan? How do you like to eat it?
Have you subscribed to the A Fresh Legacy Newsletter? One of these days soon a new one will come out 🙂 Sign up if you have not done so for news from my garden and kitchen.
You may also like:
Join me here: