Chalkboard Place Mats
This is a guest post by Brodie Daffy from The Design Co. Brodie is sharing her celebratory table decoration idea that can be created by the kids.
I love that this idea can be done by the children while you are doing the cooking and preparing for your guests arrival. This idea can be easily transferred to any time of the year that you are entertaining by changing the content of the messages that are added.
These are Brodie’s instructions to re-create chalkboard place mats like the ones her children created for me here:
You will need:
- 3 packs of square cake tray platters
- 500 ml tin of chalk board paint
- 1 paint roller
- 1 packet of multi-colored chalk
- old newspaper or old sheet/rags
- Lay newspaper out on a flat surface, and on the floor if you think it it necessary
- Lay the cake base stands top side down (silver side down). The paint will stick better on the cardboard and will allow a silver effect on the reverse. Pour a moderate amount of the chalk board paint onto a pain tray, or disposable plastic plate.
- Using the paint roller, roll chalk board paint over the roller to cover it so that there is no foam exposed.
- Leave the boards to dry for at least two hours. This is an ideal activity to do before dinner has started being prepared as it allows them time to think of designs and how they will set up the place mats. My children loved doing this activity. They were so proud of their work.
Ideas for the children:
- Trace around the knives and forks or draw them free-hand
- Name the place mats to indicate where you would like each person to sit
- Incorporate the meal theme – Eg: seafood theme – draw a different sea creature on each place mat
- Write a special message on each persons place mat that can be shared over the meal
Thank you Brodie for taking the time out of your schedule to visit A Fresh Legacy and share this lovely DIY idea. I have been following her on Instagram for some time admiring her ideas and work. I am thrilled that she agreed to drop by and share one of them here. Brodie ideas have featured in newspaper and magazines. Be sure to look her up via her social media communities listed below.
Brodie is the founder of The Design Co & Interiors, and mum of two. She runs her interior design and DIY contribution service from her bayside home office. She specializes in interior concept design in both furniture and material sourcing.
Her favorite design inspiration is the Scandinavian aesthetics mixed with natural resources like timber and marble.
You can find Brodie at this email or via:
Do your children get involved with decoration the table for Christmas?
You may also like:
Join me here: