Nothing says “good morning” to me like the smell of freshly ground coffee beans. Add it to your shower routine and the day is off to a great start! Most of the ingredients for this Lemongrass Coffee Body Scrub you will have on hand in the kitchen already and it takes just a few minutes to make.
It is time to shake off, or scrub in this case, Winter. This refreshing, invigorating body scrub will remove Winter from your mind and body, leaving your skin soft and glowing. Lemongrass is fresh and lively, energizing. A gorgeous way to kick-start your day.
I am not exaggerating when I say that this scrub makes me feel like I am stepping out of a day spa after using it (well… if I close my eyes and don’t look around at the bath toys scattered around the edge of the bath and the hand towel one of my kids has shoved back over it’s rail, and the…) I adore this combination of lemongrass and coffee body scrub, for the way it leaves my skin feeling and for the way it kick starts my sluggish morning brain. The addition of coconut oil and shea butter to this scrub leaves your skin feeling soft and supple.
I am not a morning person. I found a note amongst my Aromatherapy class notes that referred to Lemongrass as a secret weapon for non-morning people. For the life of me I cannot figure out why I haven’t cottoned onto this earlier!! It could have made the “baby years” years with my non-sleeping first child a little different.
- ¼ cup roughly ground coffee beans
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 2 tablespoons white clay
- 6 drops organic vanilla essence
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- Melt the coconut oil and shea butter in a bowl that can sit over a saucepan of simmering water, or on low heat in a microwave.
- Add the above oils to the other ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine
- In the shower - use wet fingers to scoop out a portion of the scrub and apply to damp skin in the shower.
- Rub all over the body, scrubbing gently in circular motions concentrating on "problem" areas.
Let me tell you some of the things that I love about lemongrass essential oil:
Properties of lemongrass essential oil:
A word of warning – ensure that you use a high quality Lemongrass essential oil. Low grade lemongrass oil is prone to being adulterated and can be irritating to the skin.
- Lemongrass belongs to the Gramineae family.
- The oil is produced from the leaves of the plant, via steam distillation.
- This oil is great to use for those who are overworked, or suffering nervous exhaustion
- It is a wonderful tonic that is said to aid concentration
- For the skin it is deodorizing, astringent and antiseptic
- It has digestive and diuretic properties and an immune stimulant
- It smells amazing!!
This recipe includes naturally sourced ingredients, despite this it is still possible for one or more ingredients to be unsuitable for some people. If you experience any reaction or discomfort (as with any product, or food) you should discontinue use immediately.
If you have a health condition (including pregnancy) do not use essential oils without consulting a qualified therapist. Essential oils are highly concentrated, at approximately 70 times stronger than the plant that they came from. They should only be used as directed, or upon the advice of a trained practitioner. Essential oils must be stored out of reach of children. This recipe is provided for educational purposes. It should not be considered as health advice.
Are you ready to scrub away Winter? Have you ever used coffee in skin care before?
You may also like:
Join me here: