Slow Cooker Chilli Beef
Do your kids eat the same as you each night for dinner? I try to avoid making separate meals for the children as it takes extra time and effort to do so. I like to expose them to a wide variety of flavors and foods. I also make many recipes that can be tweaked prior to serving to suit Mr Fresh and I, adding strong flavors such as fresh chilli or coriander. Mr Fresh and I rarely get to dine out. Our food treats are home made and would include a dish like this one. Despite this general approach to family food at our place, I enjoy the evenings that I serve the boys their favorite Spaghetti Bolognese or Pasties. I am constantly trying new recipes and they are very good at eating most things put in front of them so I enjoy hearing their excitement at being presented with their favorites.
Mr Fresh and I are both huge fans of chilli. My recent discovery of chilpotle chilli has had me adding it to many meals. I love the smokey flavor it imparts. I also recently collected some dried mulato chilli that I have been itching to try – Chilli was on the menu. It is not a family friendly meal, but it is good enough to warrant a separate dinner being prepared (or taken from the freezer supply) for the kids.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1kg diced beef
- 1 and ½ chilpotle (chipotle) chilli in adobe chopped
- 1 chilli mulato (dried) soaked in hot water and then chopped
- 1 tin 400 gram red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 ton 400 gram tomatoes (unflavored)
- 1 cup beef stock
- ¼ cup of water from soaking the dried chilli mulato
- Plain yogurt or 1 mashed avocado to serve
- Add the oil, garlic and herbs to a medium hot pan and heat until fragrant
- Add the diced beef and stir until browned
- Add to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients
- Cook on high for five hours
- Serve with rice and topped with yogurt or mashed avocado
This recipe can be easily reproduced on the stove top if you do not have a slow cooker. If cooking by an alternate method you will need to adjust the cooking time to less and add additional liquid.
This recipe is part of my Slow Cooker series I started this Winter. Other recipes from the series are:
Do you make a meal that is a treat for you that you do not serve to the kids? What is it?
You may also like:
Join me here: