I love a cold noodle salad (although this recipe may also be served warm).
It ticks these boxes:
This is a recipe for a busy day – add the vegetables you have available. The Asian inspired flavors are fresh and clean and pack a zing. I enjoy the sharp flavors of fish sauce and lemon juice. You may wish to slightly adjust the flavor if you prefer less zing. Taste the dressing and omit the lemon juice if you wish.
You will notice in the picture that I was a little light with my serving of herbs. That is because I forgot to add the mint prior to taking the photograph! Add lots of herbs as they compliment the dressing well.
- 300 grams soba noodles
- 1 carrot - peeled and shaved thinly into strips
- 1 cucumber - peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini - peeled, thinly sliced (use raw or cook on grill pan if desired)
- 200 grams of tomatoes - quartered
- ½ a cooked chicken - shredded into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small fresh lemongrass stalk - chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon palm sugar - shaved
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 2 long red chillis sliced (optional)
- Fresh mint and/or basil leaves
- With a mortar and pestle (or food processor) pound the garlic, lemongrass and palm sugar until a paste is formed.
- Add the fish sauce and lemon juice and test for flavor. It will be zingy
- Cook the noodles as per packet instructions, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Add the noodles to a serving bowl or platter and top with the chicken and vegetables
- Drizzle over the dressing and mix gently to combine and ensure that the dressing is well distributed
- Top with peanuts and basil and/or mint to serve
- Top with fresh chilli if desired
Have you subscribed to my Newsletter?
I would love to send you hints and tips on the seasonal activities in the garden and my kitchen. Sign up at the top right hand side of this page.
You may also like:
Join me here: