At this time of year the produce from my garden is most abundant. Our food bills noticeably decrease because we eat mostly from the garden. When I was getting dinner ready one night last week I realised that I did not have enough vegetables to go onto the plate for dinner. I headed out to the garden to see what I could grab to bulk up dinner and ensure that the kids got a well balanced meal. My 6 year old asked for carrots to be served with dinner so how could I refuse???
After a quick garden bed scan I saw that we had plenty of carrots and beetroot ready to be harvested. I grabbed them and they were added to dinner that night. My six year old was happy. The problem with harvesting carrots is that it is really difficult to STOP digging them up once you start. I collected a kilo of carrots, many more than I needed for dinner – obviously…..
The next day I made this divine cake to use up some of the carrots and beetroot, and in the day that followed I made two more to freeze. The kids and Mr Fresh love this cake and that makes me a very happy lady.
- 100 grams butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 small eggs ( 105 grams approx in total)
- 1 and ½ cups (generous) of combined grated beetroot and carrot
- 1 and ½ cups self raising flower
- 1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- Set the oven to 170 degrees to heat
- To a bowl add the butter, coconut oil and sugar to a bowl
- Mix to combine well until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs and continue to mix
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine
- Pour mixture into a cake tin and bake for 45 minutes
- Test for readiness by inserting a skewer into the center of the cake. If it removes with no residue/stickiness it is cooked. If the skewer does not remove cleanly continue to cook until it does. Test every 5 minutes
Are you a carrot cake fan? Have you ever tried carrot with beetroot? They are gloriously complimentary, as will your friends and family be when you serve them this cake.
Have a great weekend.
You may also like:
Join me here: