Egg and Bacon is a guaranteed winner for breakfast. In the last edition of Delicious Magazine I saw a recipe for Breakfast Bread and it got me thinking …YUM!
The base of this dish is denser than a pizza base, more like a focaccia, after this breakfast there is really no need for lunch! The recipe for the base is based on one from my trusty old Breville BB200 bread machine.
- Bread Ingredients:
- 250 ml warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons of dry yeast
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Topping Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons of tomato chutney (or tomato passata)
- 12 x cherry tomatoes quartered
- 8 slices bacon (300 grams)
- 4 eggs
- handful of fresh basil leaves or herbs of choice
- handful of rocket
- ½ avocado sliced
- To make the bread:
- Measure out the warm water and then add the sugar and yeast to it, stir and wait until bubbles start to form on the top (5 minutes)
- Add the flour and oil to a bowl and tip in the water mixture when ready. Stir to combine then tip out onto a lightly floured board and knead for a few minutes
- Shape into a ball and place in a clean bowl covered with a tea towel in a warm spot for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size
- Cook the bacon in a pan then remove and set aside
- Set the oven to heat to 180 degrees Celsius
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle shape of about half a centimeter thickness
- Line a pan or tray with non stick baking paper, or dust with flour, to prevent sticking
- Spread the tomato chutney onto the top of the dough and place the dough onto the tray
- Add the bacon and tomatoes and place into the oven to cook for 15 minutes
- Add 4 eggs onto the top and return to the oven for another 10 minutes until the whites of the eggs have set
- Remove from the oven and add the sliced avocado, fresh herbs and rocket and serve (with coffee or juice)
This quantity of dough is enough to make one large bread and one smaller one.
What is your favorite weekend breakfast? Tell me in the comments below.
*This recipe and the format was updated 11/09/2014
You may also like:
Join me here: