Home grown, home made
Yesterday I picked 700 grams of rainbow beetroot from My (vegie)Patch. It was the last of the beetroots I planted for Summer.
I set straight to work to make this relish recipe below.
Beetroot Relish Recipe
- 700 grams of beetroot - I grew rainbow beetroot
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of CSR Jam Sugar (or castor sugar)
- 1 and ½ cups of white vinegar
- 50 ml of balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Put a pot of water on to boil
- Clean the beetroot and cut off all of the stalk/leaves
- Place into the boiling water and boil for approximately 20 minutes (until soft and the beets can be pierced with a sharp knife)
- Remove from the water and cool.
- Wearing gloves remove the skin from each beet by gently rubbing and pushing it off
- Grate the beetroot into a bowl- it should be very soft and easy to grate
- Using a wide based pot add the beetroot and all of the ingredients and over low heat stir until the sugar dissolves
- Ensure the mixture is simmering and let it cook for approximately 30 minutes until the liquid has evaporated and it has a jam-like consistency
- Pot into sterilised jars.
Once opened it should be stored in the fridge.
Use within 3 - 4 months.
Enjoy on salad sandwiches, with cold meats and cheese.
*this post was reformatted on 15/05/2014
If you like this recipe you may also like these ones:
You may also like:
Join me here: