Home grown, home made
Yesterday I picked 700 grams of rainbow beetroot from My (vegie)Patch. It was the last of the beetroots I planted for Summer.
I set straight to work to make this relish recipe below.
Beetroot Relish Recipe
- 700 grams of beetroot - I grew rainbow beetroot
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of CSR Jam Sugar (or castor sugar)
- 1 and ½ cups of white vinegar
- 50 ml of balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Put a pot of water on to boil
- Clean the beetroot and cut off all of the stalk/leaves
- Place into the boiling water and boil for approximately 20 minutes (until soft and the beets can be pierced with a sharp knife)
- Remove from the water and cool.
- Wearing gloves remove the skin from each beet by gently rubbing and pushing it off
- Grate the beetroot into a bowl- it should be very soft and easy to grate
- Using a wide based pot add the beetroot and all of the ingredients and over low heat stir until the sugar dissolves
- Ensure the mixture is simmering and let it cook for approximately 30 minutes until the liquid has evaporated and it has a jam-like consistency
- Pot into sterilised jars.
Once opened it should be stored in the fridge.
Use within 3 - 4 months.
Enjoy on salad sandwiches, with cold meats and cheese.
**It is important that you ensure you use safe food preparation and storage techniques when preserving. There is much debate about canning techniques and correct procedures in different countries. You need to do your own research and use the method that you are most comfortable with. At the time of writing this there are no guidelines specifically for Australia.
*this post was reformatted on 15/05/2014
If you like this recipe you may also like these ones: