Pesto & Vegetable Pasta Salad
A light vegetarian dinner or a healthy side salad. It is a lovely fresh dish, quick to make and a great way to use up your seasonal garden produce. Family friendly picnic food, it is a great addition to school lunch boxes as well as the dinner table.
My garden is still producing zucchinis and tomatoes and I have a huge crop of basil. I made this for dinner on Saturday night to take advantage of my home grown produce.
- Basil Pesto
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup almonds or pine nuts
- 1 small garlic clove - peeled
- 4 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- handful of fresh rocket leaves (optional)
- Pasta Salad
- 250 grams of spiral pasta
- 350 grams garden tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, quartered and season with salt & pepper
- 1 medium zucchini peeled and grilled on griddle pan then thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts lightly browned
- ½ red capsicum thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- shaved parmesan to serve
- Add all of the pesto ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combine
- Put a pot of water on to boil
- Add the pasta when the water is boiling and cook according to packet instructions
- Remove from heat and drain when cooked
- Stir through the basil pesto while the pasta is warm
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine
- Season and top with fresh parmesan
- Serve cold
Add tuna or sliced grilled chicken to the salad for a more filling and non vegan meal
This post is linked to Veggie Mama’s Meatless Monday.
Get a weekly delivery of Fresh content straight to your in-box.
Join me here: