Love At First Bite Baklava Recipe
This post is part of the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop. I had so much fun participating in the last blog hop, making my Double Chocolate Semifreddo, and I discovered a fabulous array of amazing food blogs that I couldn’t resist participating in this month’s one also.
Sweet is not necessarily on the Fresh side of the fence, but I do believe that a treat once in awhile is good for you 🙂
The theme of this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop is Love at First Bite – I immediately knew what I would make.
Some time ago a friend I worked with brought in some of her mum’s home made baklava. Love at first bite. *Swoon* Oh my gosh, melt in my mouth, sweet, crunchy, nutty, gorgeousness!!! Helen’s mum created a beautiful food memory that day at the round table we gathered at for our girly chats about shoes and weekend activities.
This recipe is an adaption from a Delicious Magazine recipe I had filed away and Helen’s mum secret to amazing baklava – to use almonds instead of the traditional use of walnuts.
I have a secret nut addiction to pecans and pistachios so I couldn’t resist adding them in with Mrs S’s almonds.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- 150 grams of slivered almonds
- 100 grams of pecans – chopped
- 200 grams of pistachio nuts – chopped
- 1/2 cup of castor sugar
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1 tablespoon of juice from an orange
- 135 grams of unsalted butter
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- honey – I used Des O’Toole’s Cold Extracted Orange Blossom blend
- icing sugar to serve
- In a heated pan first toast the almonds and then the pecans
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Line a loaf tray with baking paper – eg: a tray with sides about 8 cm high
- Put all of the nuts, sugar, orange zest, juice and 80 grams of softened butter into a bowl and mix together to combine
- Melt the remaining butter
- Cut the filo shapes into strips to fit the tray then keep covered with a damp tea towel while you work
- Place 4 pieces of filo into the bottom of the pan, brushing each sheet with the melted butter before adding the next sheet on top
- Spread one third of the nut mix on top of the pastry and then continue to layer another 3-4 pieces, brushing with butter between each one.
- Repeat until the nut mix has been used and finish with 2 pieces of filo on top.
- Place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden
- Cool and remove from the tray
- Drizzle with honey and dust with icing sugar
- Slice into pieces to serve
Enjoy! What was your Love at First Bite?
Visit some of the amazing entries shown below to view some fabulous entries from other bloggers.
You may also like:
Join me here: