Honey Balsamic Beetroot Chips
Sunday afternoon at our home is a complete “downing of tools”. We have a “Dumpling Sunday” tradition that takes care of dinner. I never cook dinner on a Sunday. We generally stop whatever is happening around 4pm and adjourn to the deck, to catch the last of the day’s sunshine in warm months, or with a fire in the chiminea in the cool months.
If you read my post earlier this week you would know that I had a Seasonal Sunday Lunch planned on the weekend that went awry. The change in plans left me with an abundance of gorgeous fresh seasonal produce to use, including beetroot.
On a Sunday afternoon Mr Fresh and I like to share a glass or two of wine as we chat and watch the kids play. My Fresh decided that he would open the bottle of wine that he had earmarked for our (cancelled) lunch.
Our friends missed out on a handpicked Barossa red wine that was fabulous! I made these veggie chips as a snack to nibble with the beets that would have appeared on the table at lunch. They were a perfect match for the wine and I know they will appear on our table on many more Sunday afternoons.
I am now planning how many more beets I can squeeze into my garden. In the meantime, while I wait for my current crop to mature, I have ordered some from a local farm-gate that supplies organic beetroot. Delivered on Saturday, just in time for this Sunday afternoon! As a bonus (or maybe not…) the kids also enjoyed these veggie chips.
- 4 medium sized beetroots - peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey balsamic glaze (or good quality balsamic vinegar)
- salt to season
- Heat the oven to 170 degrees
- Place the sliced beetroots on a lined baking tray and use a spoon to evenly distribute the oil and balsamic over the slices - or use a pastry brush
- Season sparingly with salt (as you will add more at the end of the cooking)
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes
- Turn down the heat to 120 degrees and cook for a further 10- 15 minutes
- Cool for a few minutes
- Season with salt and serve, warm or cold
I was happy to not have to share these chips with more people!
Have you made beetroot (or any other vegetable) chips at home? I’d love to hear your favorite.
You may also like:
Join me here: